Integrating Squirrel365 with Tableau
The Squirrel365 extension for Tableau seamlessly blends the secure, managed data environment of Tableau with the remarkable app-building capabilities of Squirrel365.
Whether you want to add what-if simulation to your dashboards and reports, create a complete Squirrel UI for your Tableau data, or anything in between – adding Squirrel to your existing Tableau dashboards opens up a whole new world of possibilities.
With the Squirrel365 extension, you can easily pass data from Tableau data sources and worksheets dynamically into an embedded Squirrel project. This provides you with the best of both worlds. Some of the key benefits include:
- Use spreadsheet logic to build app-like functionality into your Tableau dashboards
- Utilise the security model of your Tableau environment to control access to data and projects
- Take advantage of visualisations not available in Tableau (you can even build your own)
- Show or hide elements dynamically based on data
- Add what-if analysis and scenarios
- Writeback – capture information input within your Tableau dashboard and save it back to a database or online spreadsheet*
* may require a 3rd party service such as Zapier
When the data in Tableau changes, the embedded Squirrel projects are immediately updated therefore providing a seamless experience for users.
Getting started with the integration is simple. Firstly, specify in Squirrel which areas of the spreadsheet should be populated with data from Tableau. Then, simply retrieve the project ID from the Squirrel project manager and enter it into the Squirrel365 extension. This will allow you to map the data back to the Squirrel project.
This process provides seamless integration between the tools in a matter of seconds.
See it in Action
Watch the video below to see the Tableau extension in action:
Try it out
Right now the extension is available as .trex file that you need to load from your desktop. If you would like to try it out please get in touch. We hope to get it on the Tableau exchange soon to make it even easier to get started.
Not a Tableau user? Don’t despair you can still sign up for a Squirrel365 account and take advantage of all that Squirrel has to offer.
SAP Business Objects Web Intelligence users – There is a similar integration available for SAP Business Objects. The video below shows custom elements, created with Squirrel365, displaying data from the Webi report providing all the same benefits as the Tableau extension.