Squirrel Release Notes
Account-based licensing and improved billing/subscription management
We’ve been hard at work improving some of our back end systems to bring you a better experience. After updating to 1.9, when you launch Squirrel you will be prompted to complete your account registration. Follow the steps on-screen and log in to Squirrel to carry on as normal.
All new account management area
We’ve added a new account management portal that allows you to:
- Easily manage your payment card details
- Access to billing history to download invoices
- Manage your profile online
In-app help and resources
We’ve added the ability to make help available from right there in the Squirrel Designer. Look out for in-app guides for new features and functionality.
‘Click to follow’ property bindings
The binding tooltip has been enhanced to jump you to the cell/range in your spreadsheet that the property is bound to. This should make it a lot easier to navigate around your projects and work out what is linked to what.
More of a ‘tune-up’ than a hotfix
- We’ve been working on optimising when and how we update formulas in response to data changes.
- Fixed a bug where Squirrel crashed on exiting debug under a specific set of conditions.
The new Web View component is a versatile component. First and foremost, it allows you to embed web content into your Squirrel project; secondly, multiple people can work on one project at the same time; and thirdly, you can create reusable components that can be used in multiple projects.
We’ve added outbound parameters. So, you can now send and receive data using the external parameters function. This opens up a world of possibilities for passing data into, and out of, your projects.
You can now type directly in the ‘Select your range’ field when binding. It’s a small enhancement that should make your binding workflow a bit easier. You no longer have to click and drag to select the range each time which means you can make small adjustments easily to your copy and paste ranges.
XLF migration removed
We squished 51 bugs including:
Charts and horizontally structured data had a bit of a fall out.. We’ve patched things up and they’re best of friends again.
Dates in the spreadsheet were converting back to UTC for different timezones. This is now fixed.
Unexpected responses from database queries and writeback connectors were causing Squirrel to crash. We’ve stopped this from happening and we’ve improved error handling for connectors.
Writeback queries weren’t working properly when parameters contained ‘&’. This is now fixed.
Hotfix for a number of issues present in some projects
- Deleting objects that had a bindings cleared/modified could sometimes cause a crash
- Adding a series to an area chart was causing squirrel to crash.
- Lots of gauges in a dashboard could slow things right down.
Hotfix for a couple of issues that were found in v1.3
- Data insertion for Data Mover was only firing for the first series.
- Charts that were bound to data block containing a single series didn’t display as they should.
We’ve added another way to copy and paste: you can now grab the fill handle and drag it over the range that you want to copy to. It will fill based on the active cell and will automatically insert formulas with relative references. It just makes it a bit easier to work with the spreadsheet.
We’ve also enabled the option to export your spreadsheet so you can take it out of Squirrel and do what you want with it.
To help you line things up, you can now switch on (and configure) a grid overlay. It’s visible in Design mode to really help you get the pixel-perfect layout you’re after.
Charts and the new Schedule Viz component
We’re always looking to give you more control over your components: this month we’ve added more functionality to charts, including sorting options on Column and Bar. We’ve also fixed some bugs along the way.
Looking for a way to display data with start and end dates or times? The new Schedule component is just the job! It’s a Gantt ‘style’ chart allowing you to plot date and time ranges against categories or tasks. It’s a useful component that could, for example, help you visualise task/project management or resource allocation.
Export to Excel and PDF
We fixed a bunch more bugs and made further improvements.
External Parameters function
We fixed a bunch of bugs:
- Data insertion for Data Mover was not always triggering when status = value. This is fixed.
- You can now scroll through the sheets to get to those that are outside the visible area of the spreadsheet.
- Improved handling of negative numbers and decimals in the properties panel.
- Stopped Squirrel from crashing when binding scorecard headers to a different row.
Squirrel’s spreadsheet capabilities are growing all the time. You can now insert and delete columns and rows from a right-click context menu.
Start page options
99 bugs fixed including:
- Fixed an issue where the tooltips on charts sometimes displayed ‘NaN’.
- Slider component now lets you set a max value greater than 100.
- Some decimal values were being converted to dates in the spreadsheet. We’ve stopped that from happening.
- Binding the selected item property on the scorecard is now working as it should.
- Fixed some problems where data insertion was not always triggering after updating the selected item.
Squirrel V 1.0 officially released!
After working hard for the past 18 months and going through a rigorous Beta phase we are bursting with pride to officially launch Squirrel to the public.